nanogui: Psion Revo Plus and MicroWindows

Subject: RE: [nanogui] Psion Revo Plus and MicroWindows
From: Simon Wood ####@####.####
Date: 18 Dec 2001 11:09:15 -0000

I would have thought that it would be possible to build Microwindows as an EPOC application, if that is what you are trying to do.... you would have to make a screen, keyboard and mouse driver that suited EPOC.

[Please note that the last time I suggested that someone wrote another set of device drivers it caused a small flame-fest, please let's not got there again.]

This would given the ability to make a single application with Microwindows embedded in it (like the Microwindows Mine demo) which would run under the EPOC OS. Note this is an EPOC application that uses the code from Microwindows.... it has nothing to do with Linux.

It is highly unlikely that you would be able to run an X type 'server' along side the EPOC OS, but as noted there is a Linux port for this class of device. Actually this may be possible, but let's not run until we can walk.

I don't have any experience with the Psion 5.But working on the assumption that you have a build system/enviroment, you should be able to find the system calls for connecting to the 'screen', clearing and setting pixels on the display.

I would suggest using the null keyboard and mouse drivers to start with and concentrating on the display driver. Microwindows is easier that Nano-X and the 'Mine' demo makes a good proft of principle.

May the source be with you... drop me a note if you need some more pointers.
Simon