nanogui: SetTop box Development [sorta an advert]

Subject: Re: [nanogui] SetTop box Development [sorta an advert]
From: Alex Holden ####@####.####
Date: 29 Jan 2002 15:07:48 -0000

Simon Wood wrote:
 > Remove excess solder by cleaning you iron and then dragging it down
 > the length of a pin, this removes a little solder each time.

Be careful not to overheat the chip doing that. A better way is to use
solder wick (AKA desoldering braid) a few pins at a time, alternating
sides so that you're not concentrating too much heat in one place. Put a
clean length of solder wick over the pins, apply a small amount of
solder the tip of your iron, and press down on the top of the wick for a
few seconds (on the opposite side to the pins, to draw the solder through).

After soldering, lightly drag a sharp pointed craft knife along the top
of each row of pins so that it makes a clicking sound- when you hit a
dry joint you can usually feel (and hear) the difference. Then use a
continuity tester to make sure that the power supply lines aren't
shorted together before you try powering it up. If it doesn't work,
quickly power it down again and look for shorts on all the other lines.

With the higher density packages a fairly low powered optical microscope
with top illumination is very useful for visual inspection.

As always, remember to wear protection (the anti static variety). I've
destroyed more than one device in the past by not heeding that advice.

--
------------ Alex Holden - http://www.linuxhacker.org ------------
If it doesn't work, you're not hitting it with a big enough hammer