nanogui: Arrangement of memory in a PixMap

Subject: Re: [nanogui] Arrangement of memory in a PixMap
From: Alex Holden ####@####.####
Date: 25 Apr 2002 10:02:36 -0000

Simon Wood wrote:
> I'm not sure I fully understand the principle of Nano-X 'giving' a frame
> buffer. I assume that requires that the Nano-X server is itself running
> on the frame buffer, and passes control of part (or all) of the screen
> to another application.

The client side framebuffer support works by remapping an area of the
framebuffer into the clients memory space. Of course it only works on
Linux, if you're using the framebuffer for video output, and if the
client and server are on the same physical machine. As such I'd always
recommend implementing some other more portable method first (typically
using GrArea()).

> I thought GnuBoy managed to cope with much slower screen refreshes, I'll
> just have to see what happens.

I was thinking that too- 50Hz is a lot. I'd try to implement it in such
a way that you update the screen as often as you can and it doesn't
matter if some frames get lost. You could try implementing some kind of
dirty rectangles based solution too (where you keep a list of rectangles
that specify the areas where pixels have changed and only do a GrArea()
on the modified areas) if the frame rate proves to be too slow.

--
------------ Alex Holden - http://www.linuxhacker.org ------------
If it doesn't work, you're not hitting it with a big enough hammer