nanogui: Current plans for Microwindows

Subject: Current plans for Microwindows
From: "Keith Williams" ####@####.####
Date: 15 Jul 2002 16:22:23 -0000

Hi!

I've been monitoring your mailing list for some time.  I've been considering
Microwindows (along with some other GUI packages) for an embedded handheld
project.  I'd like to ask a couple of questions.

1) What is the current state of Microwindows?  I've seen a whole lot of "We
need to clean this and that up, still." and the .89 release is dated the
first half of 2001, when do believe you will make it to at least a 1.0
revision level?

2) Market surveys for my product show that reliability is in the top two
most important attributes for the instrument.  Historically, have there been
any issues with Microwindows and product stability.  What sort of pitfalls
exist with utilizing Microwindows in something like this?

3) One of the items that really caught my eye with your package was the
semi-transparent windows.  This was something that we were hoping to
implement to overlay dimmed-out controls over a plot window.  I've seen a
couple of posts that suggested that that option was not ready for prime
time.  Was this a mis-understanding on my part?  If not, when would you
expect that the issues with that feature to be resolved?

I don't want to sound all negative, because I think you have a very good
foundation for an excellent GUI interface!

Thanks for any insight.

Keith