nanogui: Problems building NanoGTK

Subject: Re: [nanogui] Problems building NanoGTK
From: "Greg Haerr" ####@####.####
Date: 25 Jul 2002 21:47:00 -0000

: If you are talking about my alpha blending, then it shouldn't be
: included because of licensing problems - thats not a problem.

We need to write an email to Rasterman.  All he requires,
apparently, is that the copyright notice be distributed along
with the binaries, as well as in the documentation.  This is
equivalent to the BSD advertising clause, and is incompatible
with the MPL.  Only a small set of macros applies here,
since all other code was written by Jordan.

The existing 0.89pre9 that I'm developing will patch
just fine with your small alpha.diff patch, adding
alpha blending and no API changes.

:
: But if you are talking about Alex's alpha blending, can you explain why
: you chose to exclude it?  It seemed pretty solid to me.

The current patch requires that the existing GrXXX API
change, which breaks many existing programs.  In addition,
a new type GR_ALPHA, is introduced, which requires
changes to all screen drivers, adding an alpha PSD parameter.

I'm still wrestling with the best approach here.  I don't want
to break existing programs with API extension unless absolutely
necessary; the GrXXX routines don't need to change unless we
require alpha channels, not just alpha blending.  Also, I'd like
to see any pixmap be useable as an alpha channel, rather than
introducing another drawable type.  This would require that we
add conversion blits; however, these might be necessary anyway
if we add monochrome bitmap support.

Finally, there is the NanoGTK code, which also implements
features submitted by others.  So I'm spending a lot of time
evaluating the different approaches and merging what I can.