nanogui: Suggestion for adding nanowm into graphic server!

Subject: Re: [nanogui] Suggestion for adding nanowm into graphic server!
From: Alex Holden ####@####.####
Date: 5 Aug 2002 15:30:32 -0000

Jordan Crouse wrote:
>>2) I think it could be a good idea to
>>be able to include a WM linked with nano-X.
> Based on the costs of adding support for a integrated window manager
> (ie, internal functions and a whole lot of hacking), what are the
> benefits of allowing one to integrate a window manager into the server
> binary?

Primarily, the ability to easily link in a window manager when using
LINK_APP_INTO_SERVER mode.

> The UNIX socket system in the Linux kernel is fast - real fast.  I doubt
> greatly that you will get any noticeable increase in speed by
> integrating the window manager - especially on an embedded system thats

I already pointed that out, along with a couple of suggestions which I
think could make more of a difference to the window dragging speed, but
Wang seems determined to go ahead and find out with actual code whether
putting the WM in the server makes an appreciable speed difference or
not. The biggest question I still have unanswered is how he is going to
objectively measure how much of a difference it actually makes.

--
------------ Alex Holden - http://www.linuxhacker.org ------------
If it doesn't work, you're not hitting it with a big enough hammer