nanogui: Suggestion for adding nanowm into graphic server!

Subject: Re: Suggestion for adding nanowm into graphic server!
From: "Aaron J. Grier" ####@####.####
Date: 6 Aug 2002 00:35:44 -0000

On Mon, Aug 05, 2002 at 04:07:34PM +0100, Alex Holden wrote:

> I was just wondering, how about instead of implementing a specific WM
> API, instead allow arbitrary multiple application threads to run
> cooperatively within the server, optionally at the same time as having
> remote applications (not using OS threads, but instead using
> GrGetNextEvent() as the context switch point).

I would like to see this extended further...

> This would allow some number of applications linked into the server to
> run simultaneously with some number of remote applications. There
> would be a compile time option to completely remove the networking
> support like now, but LINK_APP_INTO_SERVER mode wouldn't be limited to
> a single application any more.

one of the outstanding core issues on my nano-X wishlist is to make it
fully reentrant.  it seems like anything else involving clever hacks to
link multiple tasks into the server is just sidestepping this issue.
there are plenty of embedded systems without virtual memory where a
reentrant nano-X would be a big win.

I've been using a "big lock" hack for about two years now to allow
multiple threads under RTEMS to perform nano-X calls.  it works, but
isn't very elegant.

--
  Aaron J. Grier  |   Frye Electronics, Tigard, OR   |  ####@####.####