nanogui: nano-X display server

Subject: RE: [nanogui] nano-X display server
From: "Fabio Parodi" ####@####.####
Date: 26 Aug 2002 09:27:07 -0000

Greg,

the poor performance is mainly due to our network technology:
we use a 9600bps GSM radio modem, that means low speed and
**high**latency**. Our application has a lot of bitmaps and
it is too slow to be useful.

To be honest, this is a problem of our application. We tested
the nano-X demos over GSM, they are slow but at least usable.

The VNC server patch Gianci sent you is based on the framebuffer
and is the most current.

To improve speed on slow links, we are working on a new version,
the idea is to reduce resolution and colors. The crane operator
will continue working at full resolution and color (800x600x24),
and the remote diagnostic screen will have a fast interface with
lower resolution and less colors. This is very application specific
and I don't know if there is anybody interested out there.

Fabio Parodi