nanogui: Status?

Subject: RE: Status?
From: Greg Haerr ####@####.####
Date: 7 Sep 1999 18:06:05 -0000

: I've been away for a while, and have been catching up on the list.. I've
: looked at both Alex' and Gregs archives, and it doesn't look like too much
: have happened in the last couple of months.

	Yep, I kinda shut down after it seemed that the list quieted down,
and all my mods were done.

:
: I'm working on a widget set for Nano-X now (based on some code Alexander
: Peuchert wrote and was nice enough to send me), and during that work I've
: found quit a bit of bugs, in particular in the network support...
:
	The network support has never worked, and will regularly core dump.

: Some of them I've fixed, some I'm still struggling with.
:
: I've also started seeing a few shortcomings that needs to be dealt with,
: especially with regard to palette handling, and of course server side
: pixmaps etc.

	Very extensive palette handling is completed in the MicroWindows 0.82
release.  This version also supports the nano-X api.  All the color handling code
is written in the "portable across user-api's" middle device layer, devdraw.c.
Basically, the color model was enhanced to full RGB support in 0.82, with
the GR_COLOR expanded from an unsigned short "ansi color number" from 0-15
to an unsigned long RGB color.  The system is compiled with 16 color or
256 color palette tables, and then the requested RGB color is distance-cubed
compared with the palette.  Various mechanisms exist for remapping the system
palette with the nano-X palette, for use with 256 color pictures.  My work
was initially with MicroWindows in this area, and I completed all the work
for color bitmaps.  The system should also work with truecolor hardware,
but I've never been able to get the framebuffer stuff to work in truecolor.

:
: So, is anyone working on modifications, fixes etc. to Nano-X that aren't
: publicly available yet? I'd love to take a look at any work in
: progress, and help out if possible. And what is the current official tree,
: and who would be the right person(s) to send patches to?

	Alex maintains a tree for the network code he started working
on some months ago.  My tree contains many enhancements, including
color management, cursor management, ELKS port, SVGAlib port, etc.
See the ChangeLog for details.  The Microwindows project also entailed
quite a few changes to nano-X that will be required when someone
writes a window manager.  (I wrote on for Microwindows, but was waiting
for others for nano-X.)

:
: My bug fixes are mostly against 0.5pre3, but most of them also apply to
: the Microwindows release (allthough for some reason my widget set and test
: program won't work at all with the Microwindows version of Nano-X even
: with the bugfixes). I also have a mostly working GGI driver for 0.5pre3.

	The color model changed, and you can't use simple integers for
colors anymore.  In  many cases, the simple integers 0-15 come out quite
black ;-)  The MicroWindows tree has no reported/known bugs.