nanogui: threads and nano-X drawing

Subject: Re: [nanogui] threads and nano-X drawing
From: "Greg Haerr" ####@####.####
Date: 8 Jun 2004 20:00:44 +0100

Tj,
    Sorry, I've been busy, and trying to think of a good answer
to your questions.  I assume you're using the THREADSAFE=Y
in the config file.

The GrGetWindowInfo is complex, since it must cause the
client to wait for a response from the server for the window info
before processing ANY other requests, since there is only
ONE connection to the server for all threads.  That's the
basic problem.  We almost need a seperate GrOpen()
per thread to handle this problem.

It shouldn't be too hard to get GrSendEventData to work
as an XSendEvent replacement.  Check the implementation,
perhaps there could be a special flag set to not copy
the data, just pass the pointer.

: I have a problem getting a thread to update a window.
:
: I have a main theread that opens the windows and handles the events.  I
: launch a thread that needs to update a progress bar. However, If I even
: try to  do a GrGetWindowInfo() in teh thread  and I get a bunch of errors.
:
: Now what I would normally do is use XSendevent() to let the main  event
: loop update the window. However, there is no XsendEvent() like in nano-X.
:
: Now there is GrSendEventData(). But what info I can find says it is used
: windows, etc.
:
: Now, my question is what is the best route to follow?
:
: Can GrSendEventData() be used with serial = 0, source window = 0? What
: would I put in packet size vs. data size? All I want to do is send a
: pointer to a data area. This way the event loop could handle the drawing
: instead of different threads.
:
: tj