nanogui: Problems with modal windows

Subject: Re: [nanogui] Problems with modal windows
From: "Greg Haerr" ####@####.####
Date: 19 Dec 2004 08:12:46 +0000

: WindowA (non-modal) -- This window allows the user to adjust settings.
:    WindowB (modal) -- This window is a modal "confirmation" window.  The
: user must OK this window before moving on.
:
: WindowC (modal) -- This window is shown when an interrupt is fired
: indicating that the power switch was pressed and we're shutting down.
:
: After the user makes changes in WindowA, WindowB is shown so the user must
: confirm the changes before moving on.  If the power switch is pressed
: before the user confirms settings, WindowC gets shown, but it stays behind
: WindowB.  WindowC gets any further events from the touchscreen even though
: it is shown behind WindowB.

Unfortunately, this problem is likely buried in the implementation
of FLTK itself.  I would need to understand a bit more exactly
how FLTK implents "modal" windows.  Microwindows itself
doesn't have the concept of modal windows.  Modal windows
are normally implemented by forcing a new GetNextEvent
loop "on top" of the topmost existing window's event loop,
thus forcing all messages to go just to it, thereby implementing
the modal concept.

It sounds likely that there's some issue where FLTK isn't communicating
fully with nano-X to get the window raised when it is shown.
This could be an issue in  NXLIB, if you're using that emulation
library.