nanogui: port question

Subject: Re: [nanogui] port question
From: "Greg Haerr" ####@####.####
Date: 10 Jul 2005 21:35:01 +0100

: I'm brand new to MicroWindows.  I'm considering using MicroWindows
: (i.e. NanoGUI) on a board with no RTOS (for now).  The board has a
: framebuffer hooked to an LCD display and runs MicroMonitor as the
: bootloader.  As a result, I want to write a simple 'C' main()
: function to exercise NanoGUI on this hardware.
:
: Before I go any further, is this outside the focus of NanoGUI or is
: it reasonable to think that it can be built for an environment that
: is RTOS-less?

Yes, Nano-X is designed to be able to run on pretty bare
hardware.  Screen, keyboard and mouse I/O can be handled
directly with the scr, kbd and mou drivers, as discussed in the
Architecture document.  These do not require any OS.  In
addition, HAVE_FILEIO can be set to N in the config file
if you don't have any file i/o capabilities underneath Nano-X.

As Aaron stated, there is the need for basic C library,
string manipulation, and malloc/free however.  Also,
a mechanism to wait for a mouse or kbd event (MwSelect)
has to be implemented.  This is implemented in nanox/srvmain.c.

The win32 applications are already single-application binaries.
The nano-X API applications will need to be linked
using the LINK_APP_INTO_SERVER config option
if you don't have multiple process execution capability
in an underlying OS.  In the eCos case, folks have linked
multiple nano-X apps together and used cooperative
threading to run them all from within a single executable.