nanogui: Cross Compiling Of Font Libraries

Subject: Cross Compiling Of Font Libraries
From: Gil Glass ####@####.####
Date: 20 Jul 2005 15:23:40 +0100

Hello,

I have successfully cross-compiled Nano-X version 0.91 (is this the latest
release or should I be using 0.90???) for the ARM architecture,
specifically, the PXA-255.  This was an easy process given that the
configuration file offers an option to compile for this platform and then
prepends the string "arm-linux-" to all of the tool commands.  However, I
am having much less luck cross compiling the font libraries, i.e. FreeType
and T1 Adobe.  Perhaps this is more of a general Linux/configuration
question, but as I'm not exactly a Linux expert, I could definitely use
some help from those who are more knowledgeable than I.

When I issue the command to configure, the configurator automatically
grabs the native compiler (gcc) and linker (ld).  If I try to fool it by
symbolically linking gcc and ld to the ARM versions, the configuration
fails saying that it can't run the test programs when cross compiling.  If
I remove the "exit" command from the test program check, the make file is
produced, but the build fails.  It seems that I shouldn't have to hack so
much anyway and I'm guessing there's a much simpler solution.

Please advise.

Cheers,
Gil Glass
Telecom Field Services Division