nanogui: Cross Compiling Of Font Libraries

Subject: AW: [nanogui] Cross Compiling Of Font Libraries
From: "Alexander Stohr" ####@####.####
Date: 20 Jul 2005 20:21:44 +0100

cc'ing the list... since information is still of general interest.
(why does that list always reply to individuals...? that bugs me. *gg*)

Okay, after fighting a few minuts
i might have had something like this when my compile worked:

  alias gcc=arm-linux-gcc
  CC=arm-linux-gcc ./configure ...<you-know>...

[Hey, lets rethink a 2nd time... (sorry, somtimes you dont write
down the way you did it when things get complex, and then forget).
your response looks odd. i assume there is some problem in
the configure script that does insert the "unknown" maybe it
does not know about arm or linux or whatever.]

as soons as i saw that the script reported about doing
a cross compile i just said "okay it works for me".
then the compile succeeded.

i do have pcfdemo and several others running
on my target machine and on i386 testbed.
the critical thing is: font paths must match!!!
either you specify only the filename and it will be found
if its at the path from the config.
[ keep an eye on the NX console whilst testing.
it reports the misc font loaders search and fail paths.
hmm, i might want to change that reporting some days in some sort.]

basically say (from brain): T1FONTPATH=/fonts/t1
and your program: GrCreateFont ("arial.t1");
then it will find "/fonts/t1/arial.t1"

or you can specifiy a full path:
  GrCreateFont ("/my/path/to/my/fonts/arial.t1");

i found out about that when spefifying font path
withou leading "/" - and voila i had to start nano-X
from the microwindows/src subdir so that it worked.
the path where the application starts is indifferent.

the true type fonts in the NX distribution work for me
with normal scale, large scale and antialias.
i think i have not tested much byond,
but on NX-on-top-of-twm-in-a-VNC-server-on-i386-linux
i was even able to rotate the fonts from X11 fontserver.
i have not seen rotation on my embedded box for now.

-Alex.