nanogui: Cross Compiling Of Font Libraries

Subject: AW: [nanogui] Cross Compiling Of Font Libraries
From: Gil Glass ####@####.####
Date: 20 Jul 2005 19:22:57 +0100

Thank you for your prompt reply.

> Ever tried the below commands for your libs?
>
>   ./configure --host=arm-linux
>   make

Actually, I did try this but it made no difference.  The only thing I
noticed was that the message

"checking host system type... arm-unknown-linux-gnu"

appeared during the configuration process.  It still used the native
compiler and other tools.

Do you know of any other way that I can get fonts other than "system" to
show up.  The system font is completely unreadable.  I really need to get
some larger fonts on the screen and nothing, so far, seems to work.

Thanks.

Cheers,
Gil Glass

> in theory all should work, but i only tested that for mips32.
>
> admitted there are some broken lib releases out there,
> my special "friend" was libjpeg in the official release
> form which even falsely killed "CC=arm-linux-gcc" settings
> in its configuration file. other than that, for t1lib
> you might need a change like this:
>
> - { echo "configure: error: can not run test program while cross
compiling"
> 1>&2; exit 1; }
> +  ac_64bit_type="<none>"
>
> there is not much magic - just skip unneccsassary probing
> in cases where you know what you want.
>
> my recommendation for Nano-X release?
>
> 0.91 is more close to the people that do send patches
> and therefore you will find lots of helpfull patches
> in the pre-0.92 directory of the ftp site. as of now
> there is still more than enough code in the patch queue.
> some ar fixes like for the fonts, and some are features
> like the alpha blend code (but its to early for that now).
>
> for me its 0.91 with an emphasize on adding font patches.
>
> i dont have a clue on release plans. to my understanding
> the non trivial amount of config options, target platforms
> and other complexity (like not having some automated test
> suite that passed on real world hardware) will make it
> hard to provide rocket prove code on the very next turn.
>
> -Alex.

FreeType
> and T1 Adobe.  Perhaps this is more of a general Linux/configuration
> question, but as I'm not exactly a Linux expert, I could definitely use
> some help from those who are more knowledgeable than I.
>
> When I issue the command to configure, the configurator automatically
> grabs the native compiler (gcc) and linker (ld).  If I try to fool it by
> symbolically linking gcc and ld to the ARM versions, the configuration
> fails saying that it can't run the test programs when cross compiling.
If