nanogui: Thread: Licensing

[<<] [<] Page 2 of 5 [>] [>>]
Subject: Re: Licensing
From: Vidar Hokstad ####@####.####
Date: 11 May 1999 20:18:22 -0000

On Tue, 11 May 1999, Alex Holden wrote:

> On Tue, 11 May 1999, Vidar Hokstad wrote:
> > Speaking from a corporate perspective, I can say that we'd be happy with
> > LGPL, at least... Even GPL for the server part, but of course I do see the
> > issue for other people that might want to link their application directly
> > with the server.
>
> If we figured out a way to provide runtime module loading rather than
> linking it at compile time, that should be okay I think. I'd rather have
> the server under a license which let people link proprietory code into it
> if they want to though, if only so that people really low on memory can
> use the "application linked into the server" mode, with an application
> that they don't want to release the source to. I don't know how difficult
> it is to provide dynamic module loading though, it's something I've never
> tried.

Try;

man dlopen
man dlsym

And also, do a search for "CrossElf" on some search engine...

dlopen() and dlsym() is the Unix way of doing it. It doesn't work on all
Unix versions though.

CrossElf is a _really_ cool alternative. It loads ELF files, compiled
under Linux for instance, under any OS that supports dlopen()/dlsym(), and
in additition under DOS and Windows. Of course, the code will only run if
compiled for the same CPU and as long as it doesn't rely on OS specific
APIs.

That is: The _SAME_ binary runs under DOS, Windows, Linux and any other
x86 based OS you happen to port the CrossElf loader to. Under Windows it
also supports loading native DLL's.

Vidar Hokstad ####@####.####
Director of R&D, Screen Media AS

On Tue, 11 May 1999, Vidar Hokstad wrote:
> CrossElf is a _really_ cool alternative. It loads ELF files, compiled
> under Linux for instance, under any OS that supports dlopen()/dlsym(), and
> in additition under DOS and Windows. Of course, the code will only run if
> compiled for the same CPU and as long as it doesn't rely on OS specific
> APIs.

Sounds very interesting. Any idea how big it is? I'll have to take a look
at it...

--------------- Linux- the choice of a GNU generation. --------------
: Alex Holden (M1CJD)- Caver, Programmer, Land Rover nut, Radio Ham :

CrossELF sounds quite cool, I'm definitely going to take a look
at it.  It sounds like it could be useful for all sorts of OS projects...
I am also interested in any sources to *small* ELF linkers that run on
multiple operating systems.

Greg