nanogui: Thread: Licensing

[<<] [<] Page 5 of 5 [>] [>>]
Subject: Re: Licensing
From: Alex Holden ####@####.####
Date: 2 Jul 1999 12:46:17 -0000

On Fri, 2 Jul 1999, Stuart Hughes wrote:
> My understanding is that even under LGPL you still suffer 'pollution'
> unless your very careful.  By this I mean, if you had a propriety part
> that will form part of the 'library' that other people are going to use,
> this gets polluted and falls under LGPL.  The only way that proprietary
> code is kept clean is if it an application uses the LGPL'ed stuff as a
> library.

That's part of what I meant about the APIs. It would be difficult, and
pose some needless restrictions, to get it seperated carefully in such a
way that a proprietory graphics card driver or window manager wouldn't be
regarded as part of "the library". I suppose we could just draw the line
and say "no proprietory graphics card drivers or window managers allowed",
though it would be a shame to have to do that for the sake of using the
LGPL (of course this is just the kind of thing the FSF want to happen-
their code is free so so should everybody else's).

--------------- Linux- the choice of a GNU generation. --------------
: Alex Holden (M1CJD)- Caver, Programmer, Land Rover nut, Radio Ham :