nanogui: Thread: NanoX version 0.3 released

[<<] [<] Page 3 of 5 [>] [>>]
Subject: RE: NanoX version 0.3 released
From: Alex Holden ####@####.####
Date: 11 May 1999 10:08:14 -0000

On Tue, 11 May 1999, Alexander Peuchert wrote:
> less lib code!

No, just split up into two parts so that you aren't forced to have _all_
of GDK compiled in for every single app which uses nano-X.

> Another thing: what is >inappropriate< for nano-X ?

Whatever is non-essential. The processing which GDK does should be in the
GDK library, only the interface to the Nano-X server should be in the
Nano-X server should be in the Nano-X library. The interface could be
modified to make it easier to port GDK, but I don't want to force people
to compile GDK in if they don't want it.

--------------- Linux- the choice of a GNU generation. --------------
: Alex Holden (M1CJD)- Caver, Programmer, Land Rover nut, Radio Ham :
-------------------- http://www.linuxhacker.org/ --------------------

> On Tue, 11 May 1999, Alexander Peuchert wrote:
> > less lib code!
>
> No, just split up into two parts so that you aren't forced to have _all_
> of GDK compiled in for every single app which uses nano-X.

Good point, I didn't think of that.

> > Another thing: what is >inappropriate< for nano-X ?
>
> Whatever is non-essential. The processing which GDK does should be in the
> GDK library, only the interface to the Nano-X server should be in the
> Nano-X server should be in the Nano-X library. The interface could be
> modified to make it easier to port GDK, but I don't want to force people
> to compile GDK in if they don't want it.

What would you prefer:

1) splitting the GDK API into two parts. one for the nano-X part, one for
the rest, but using the GDK API function names for both.

or

2) a nano-X lib and a nano-GDK wrapper lib. The nano-GDK lib provides the
additional functinallity and just function name translation from GDK to
nano lib, either through simple jumps or #defines.

> --------------- Linux- the choice of a GNU generation. --------------
> : Alex Holden (M1CJD)- Caver, Programmer, Land Rover nut, Radio Ham :
> -------------------- http://www.linuxhacker.org/ --------------------

- alex

Alexander Peuchert
####@####.####
http://www.peuchert.de ( not very interesting yet ;-) )

On Tue, 11 May 1999, Alexander Peuchert wrote:
> What would you prefer:
> 1) splitting the GDK API into two parts. one for the nano-X part, one for
> the rest, but using the GDK API function names for both.
> 2) a nano-X lib and a nano-GDK wrapper lib. The nano-GDK lib provides the
> additional functinallity and just function name translation from GDK to
> nano lib, either through simple jumps or #defines.

2, but with the functions which can be translated directly without any
extra work (apart from renaming and/or reordering arguments) in the nano-X
lib. So, if you wanted to program directly to nano-X, you would see a
subset of the GDK functionality. Link with the nano-GDK lib, and you see
the whole GDK functionality, which you can stick GTK+ or anything else
which uses GDK directly on top of without modification.

--------------- Linux- the choice of a GNU generation. --------------
: Alex Holden (M1CJD)- Caver, Programmer, Land Rover nut, Radio Ham :
-------------------- http://www.linuxhacker.org/ --------------------

> On Tue, 11 May 1999, Alexander Peuchert wrote:
> > What would you prefer:
> > 1) splitting the GDK API into two parts. one for the nano-X part, one for
> > the rest, but using the GDK API function names for both.
> > 2) a nano-X lib and a nano-GDK wrapper lib. The nano-GDK lib provides the
> > additional functinallity and just function name translation from GDK to
> > nano lib, either through simple jumps or #defines.
>
> 2, but with the functions which can be translated directly without any
> extra work (apart from renaming and/or reordering arguments) in the nano-X
> lib. So, if you wanted to program directly to nano-X, you would see a
> subset of the GDK functionality. Link with the nano-GDK lib, and you see
> the whole GDK functionality, which you can stick GTK+ or anything else
> which uses GDK directly on top of without modification.

There could also be a possibility of building two nano libs:

libnano.a    // just the necessary functs
libGDKnano.a // additionall GDK functionality and libnano already included

all made by a makefile

I still cannot see what isn't appropriate for nano from GDK. GDK is an
abstraction layer over Xlib. Nano-X should provide the same functionality.
Maybe DnD or RGB could be left out, but how could this be simulated by
libGDKnano, if it isn't there ?

> --------------- Linux- the choice of a GNU generation. --------------
> : Alex Holden (M1CJD)- Caver, Programmer, Land Rover nut, Radio Ham :
> -------------------- http://www.linuxhacker.org/ --------------------

- alex

Alexander Peuchert
####@####.####
http://www.peuchert.de ( not very interesting yet ;-) )

On Tue, 11 May 1999, Alexander Peuchert wrote:
> There could also be a possibility of building two nano libs:
> libnano.a    // just the necessary functs
> libGDKnano.a // additionall GDK functionality and libnano already included

That's possible, but probably doesn't have any benefit over having
libnano-X.so and libnano-GDK.so as suggested previously. The previous
method has the advantage that if you have both on one system, the total
will be smaller (only a few KB admittedly, but that might be important on
an embedded system), plus they are seperate from a distibution standpoint.

> I still cannot see what isn't appropriate for nano from GDK. GDK is an
> abstraction layer over Xlib. Nano-X should provide the same functionality.
> Maybe DnD or RGB could be left out, but how could this be simulated by
> libGDKnano, if it isn't there ?

I haven't looked into GDK in enough detail to say.

--------------- Linux- the choice of a GNU generation. --------------
: Alex Holden (M1CJD)- Caver, Programmer, Land Rover nut, Radio Ham :
-------------------- http://www.linuxhacker.org/ --------------------

> On Tue, 11 May 1999, Alexander Peuchert wrote:
> > There could also be a possibility of building two nano libs:
> > libnano.a    // just the necessary functs
> > libGDKnano.a // additionall GDK functionality and libnano already included
>
> That's possible, but probably doesn't have any benefit over having
> libnano-X.so and libnano-GDK.so as suggested previously. The previous
> method has the advantage that if you have both on one system, the total
> will be smaller (only a few KB admittedly, but that might be important on
> an embedded system), plus they are seperate from a distibution standpoint.

As the complete functional parts of GTK require a space of about 10meg (
here Solaris, correct me please.), the libnano-GDK.so wouldn't be used on
a system with memory restrictions, I think. And if there would be enough
space for GTK, them X would be used.

So, after think sometime about it, nano-X shouldn't bother about GDK, just
try to make a possible port easy ...

> > I still cannot see what isn't appropriate for nano from GDK. GDK is an
> > abstraction layer over Xlib. Nano-X should provide the same functionality.
> > Maybe DnD or RGB could be left out, but how could this be simulated by
> > libGDKnano, if it isn't there ?
>
> I haven't looked into GDK in enough detail to say.
>
> --------------- Linux- the choice of a GNU generation. --------------
> : Alex Holden (M1CJD)- Caver, Programmer, Land Rover nut, Radio Ham :
> -------------------- http://www.linuxhacker.org/ --------------------

- alex

Alexander Peuchert
####@####.####
http://www.peuchert.de ( not very interesting yet ;-) )

On Tue, 11 May 1999, Alexander Peuchert wrote:
> As the complete functional parts of GTK require a space of about 10meg (
> here Solaris, correct me please.), the libnano-GDK.so wouldn't be used on
> a system with memory restrictions, I think. And if there would be enough
> space for GTK, them X would be used.

I don't think it's that bad- are you looking at binaries with debugging
information included?

[alex@hyperspace alex]$ ls -l libgtk-1.2.so.0.2.0
-rwxr-xr-x   1 alex     alex      3315720 May 10 14:51 libgtk-1.2.so.0.2.0
[alex@hyperspace alex]$ strip libgtk-1.2.so.0.2.0
[alex@hyperspace alex]$ ls -l libgtk-1.2.so.0.2.0
-rwxr-xr-x   1 alex     alex      1141520 May 11 14:52 libgtk-1.2.so.0.2.0
[alex@hyperspace alex]$

I'm not quite sure exactly what other libraries are needed, though, I'll
have to have a look at it. I was rather hoping I would be able to run GTK+
apps on my Geofox...

--------------- Linux- the choice of a GNU generation. --------------
: Alex Holden (M1CJD)- Caver, Programmer, Land Rover nut, Radio Ham :
-------------------- http://www.linuxhacker.org/ --------------------

> I don't think it's that bad- are you looking at binaries with debugging
> information included?
>
> [alex@hyperspace alex]$ ls -l libgtk-1.2.so.0.2.0
> -rwxr-xr-x   1 alex     alex      3315720 May 10 14:51 libgtk-1.2.so.0.2.0
> [alex@hyperspace alex]$ strip libgtk-1.2.so.0.2.0
> [alex@hyperspace alex]$ ls -l libgtk-1.2.so.0.2.0
> -rwxr-xr-x   1 alex     alex      1141520 May 11 14:52 libgtk-1.2.so.0.2.0
> [alex@hyperspace alex]$
>
> I'm not quite sure exactly what other libraries are needed, though, I'll
> have to have a look at it. I was rather hoping I would be able to run GTK+
> apps on my Geofox...

Same for me, if my Geofox will ever be built :-(.

I think, additionally the glib and a windowing system like nano-X is
needed. And space for the apps and execution space and space for the
kernel and ...

I can't tell you, if that would give a usable system. I want to use 'my'
geofox on a daily bases, if possible, not as a technology study.

> --------------- Linux- the choice of a GNU generation. --------------
> : Alex Holden (M1CJD)- Caver, Programmer, Land Rover nut, Radio Ham :

- alex

Alexander Peuchert
http://www.peuchert.de ( not very interesting yet ;-) )