nanogui: Thread: Licensing

[<<] [<] Page 4 of 5 [>] [>>]
Subject: Re: Re[2]: Licensing
From: Warner Losh ####@####.####
Date: 12 May 1999 19:49:44 -0000

In message <Pine.LNX.4.04.9905121938420.1171-100000@hyperspace> Alex Holden writes:
: Hahaha, nice summary of BSD and GPL philosophies :) I am starting to think
: that we'll have to homebrew "Yet Another License" of our own, due to the
: rather unusual situation we're in...

Actually the BSD summary would be more like "Here's the code, do
whatever you want with it" while GNU would be "Here's the code, we'll
do everything we can to make you release all software that comes
within linking distance of this code"

In actual practice, these two methods result in approximately the same
amount of code being shared back with the original authors.  People in
the BSD realm do so because they want to, but some people that use GNU
software ignore the license when it suits them.

Warner
> : Hahaha, nice summary of BSD and GPL philosophies :) I am starting to think
> : that we'll have to homebrew "Yet Another License" of our own, due to the
> : rather unusual situation we're in...
>
> Actually the BSD summary would be more like "Here's the code, do
> whatever you want with it" while GNU would be "Here's the code, we'll
> do everything we can to make you release all software that comes
> within linking distance of this code"

We were joking... Notice the smiley face?

> In actual practice, these two methods result in approximately the same
> amount of code being shared back with the original authors.  People in
> the BSD realm do so because they want to, but some people that use GNU
> software ignore the license when it suits them.

Got any examples of the latter? I know there was the Be drivers thing, but
that was resolved quickly and reasonably once someone pointed out to them
that they were breaking the terms of the GPL.

--------------- Linux- the choice of a GNU generation. --------------
: Alex Holden (M1CJD)- Caver, Programmer, Land Rover nut, Radio Ham :