plustek: Genius Vivid configures OK, fails to read lines

Subject: Re: Genius Vivid configures OK, fails to read lines
From: Honza Pazdziora ####@####.####
Date: 10 Nov 2002 10:17:06 -0000

On Sun, Oct 20, 2002 at 10:39:31AM +0200, Honza Pazdziora wrote:

> Under kernel 2.4.16, with precompiled sane 1.0.8-4 from RedHat 7.3 and
> with the 0.44.10 of pt_drv, the scanner seems to communicate, using SPP,
> but when it gets to actually reading the image data (be it in the
> xsane preview mode or during the actual scanning), it fails. I'm
> including the relevant (I hope it is) part of my /var/log/messages.
> The number of lines that are read successfully is not constant --
> something it says ReadOneImageLine() failed at line 57!, sometimes at
> line 7, sometimes at line 63.

In the meantime I've upgraded to kernel 2.4.19, sane-backends 1.0.9
compiled from src.rpm and pt_drv 0.44.10. Overall the scanner
behaviour is weird. The scanner seems to only send a couple of lines,
where "couple" ranges from 0 to like 120. But never it gets to read
those 584 which is the announced (by DEBUG=all of pt_drv)
dwLinuesToRead and which would be needed to get the whole preview in
xsane.

Also in xsane, if I select a rectangle at the bottom of the scanner,
the scanner never seems to move its head to that part of the page. In
messages, it says MotorP98003PositionYProc() but the head really reads
the lines from the top of the page. If I select a rectangle that is
"low" enough, with only a couple of lines, xsane returns a white image
-- 25 lines the scanner usually gets to read them happily. But from
incorrect part of the page, and the result is pure white, not the
colourfull page I'm trying to test with.

I've also found out that it doesn't matter if I use the SPP or EPP
mode (via forceMode), and that if I enable ECP in BIOS and
/proc/sys/dev/parport/parport0/modes says
PCSPP,TRISTATE,COMPAT,ECP,DMA, I cannot use EPP -- only SPP
(forceMode=0 or 1 gives SPP, according to /var/log/messages) works.

I'd appreciate any suggestion that you might give me to try to get
this Genius Colorpage Vivid III V2 working. It there anybody with
the same model around? What other parameters might be relevant, in the
parport/parport_pc land or otherwise? Is there some other utility that
the high level xsane that could be used to check various functionality
of the scanner?

Thank you,

 Honza Pazdziora | ####@####.#### | http://www.fi.muni.cz/~adelton/
      ... all of these signs saying sorry but we're closed ...