plustek: Thread: Plustek driver

[<<] [<] Page 1 of 2 [>] [>>]
Subject: Plustek driver
From: "Anthony Amaro Jr." ####@####.####
Date: 9 Jun 2000 15:16:07 -0000

I have a similar situation with loading the printer driver. Here is the
error message I get after typing the command "make -f MakeKernel load":

make[1]: Entering directory `/public/sane-1.0.1/backend/plustek_driver'
/sbin/modprobe pt_drv || exit 1
/lib/modules/2.2.14-5.0/misc/pt_drv.o: unresolved symbol best_memcpy
/lib/modules/2.2.14-5.0/misc/pt_drv.o: unresolved symbol best_memset
/lib/modules/2.2.14-5.0/misc/pt_drv.o: unresolved symbol
best_copy_to_user
/lib/modules/2.2.14-5.0/misc/pt_drv.o: unresolved symbol
best_copy_from_user
/lib/modules/2.2.14-5.0/misc/pt_drv.o: insmod
/lib/modules/2.2.14-5.0/misc/pt_drv.o failed
/lib/modules/misc/pt_drv.o: unresolved symbol best_memcpy
/lib/modules/misc/pt_drv.o: unresolved symbol best_memset
/lib/modules/misc/pt_drv.o: unresolved symbol best_copy_to_user
/lib/modules/misc/pt_drv.o: unresolved symbol best_copy_from_user
/lib/modules/misc/pt_drv.o: insmod /lib/modules/misc/pt_drv.o failed
/lib/modules/misc/pt_drv.o: insmod pt_drv failed
make[1]: *** [load] Error 1
make[1]: Leaving directory `/public/sane-1.0.1/backend/plustek_driver'
make: *** [load] Error 2

I followed the installation steps verbatim, but it doesn't seem to want
to load the pt_drv module. But then I run the "plustek_scan" program and
it makes the scanner light turn on and locks up when it says it is
scanning. Here is my setup:

AMD K6III-450
IWILL 100+ Motherboard
Quantum Bigfoot 8.4GB HD, IDE
2 ATAPI CD-ROMS, 24x
no SCSI devices, although using SCSI emulation to get the CD-ROMS to
work
HP Deskjet 712C printer, connected to 4830P Plustek Scanner

Thanks

Anthony

On Fri, 09 Jun 2000 10:19:29 -0500, Anthony Amaro Jr. wrote:

>I have a similar situation with loading the printer driver. Here is the
>error message I get after typing the command "make -f MakeKernel load":
>

>make[1]: Entering directory `/public/sane-1.0.1/backend/plustek_driver'
>/sbin/modprobe pt_drv || exit 1
>/lib/modules/2.2.14-5.0/misc/pt_drv.o: unresolved symbol best_memcpy
>/lib/modules/2.2.14-5.0/misc/pt_drv.o: unresolved symbol best_memset
>/lib/modules/2.2.14-5.0/misc/pt_drv.o: unresolved symbol
>best_copy_to_user
>/lib/modules/2.2.14-5.0/misc/pt_drv.o: unresolved symbol
>best_copy_from_user
>/lib/modules/2.2.14-5.0/misc/pt_drv.o: insmod
>/lib/modules/2.2.14-5.0/misc/pt_drv.o failed
>/lib/modules/misc/pt_drv.o: unresolved symbol best_memcpy
>/lib/modules/misc/pt_drv.o: unresolved symbol best_memset
>/lib/modules/misc/pt_drv.o: unresolved symbol best_copy_to_user
>/lib/modules/misc/pt_drv.o: unresolved symbol best_copy_from_user
>/lib/modules/misc/pt_drv.o: insmod /lib/modules/misc/pt_drv.o failed
>/lib/modules/misc/pt_drv.o: insmod pt_drv failed
>make[1]: *** [load] Error 1
>make[1]: Leaving directory `/public/sane-1.0.1/backend/plustek_driver'
>make: *** [load] Error 2
>

>I followed the installation steps verbatim, but it doesn't seem to want
>to load the pt_drv module. But then I run the "plustek_scan" program and
>it makes the scanner light turn on and locks up when it says it is
>scanning. Here is my setup:
>
>AMD K6III-450
>IWILL 100+ Motherboard
>Quantum Bigfoot 8.4GB HD, IDE
>2 ATAPI CD-ROMS, 24x
>no SCSI devices, although using SCSI emulation to get the CD-ROMS to
>work
>HP Deskjet 712C printer, connected to 4830P Plustek Scanner
>
>Thanks
>
>Anthony

Hi Anthony,

first of all, forget the plustek_scan program, it currently does
nothing, I first used it for debugging, then I decided to
rewrite the whole driver. In Version 0.36, there's no plustek_scan...

The unresolved symbol problem is quite strange because this could
only be caused by the compiler. If you have a look at the source-code
you'll never find these functions. Maybe you should turn off
the -O2 or -O flag in the MakeKernel file (search for DEBFLAGS).

Maybe this helps.
Gerhard

I also tried the driver using Kernel 2.2.14 (but a SuSE) and
encountered
no problems. Next week I can check for these symbols.

####@####.####

> I have a similar situation with loading the printer driver. Here is the
> error message I get after typing the command "make -f MakeKernel load":
>
> make[1]: Entering directory `/public/sane-1.0.1/backend/plustek_driver'
> /sbin/modprobe pt_drv || exit 1
> /lib/modules/2.2.14-5.0/misc/pt_drv.o: unresolved symbol best_memcpy
> /lib/modules/2.2.14-5.0/misc/pt_drv.o: unresolved symbol best_memset
> /lib/modules/2.2.14-5.0/misc/pt_drv.o: unresolved symbol
> best_copy_to_user
> /lib/modules/2.2.14-5.0/misc/pt_drv.o: unresolved symbol
> best_copy_from_user
> /lib/modules/2.2.14-5.0/misc/pt_drv.o: insmod
> /lib/modules/2.2.14-5.0/misc/pt_drv.o failed
> /lib/modules/misc/pt_drv.o: unresolved symbol best_memcpy
> /lib/modules/misc/pt_drv.o: unresolved symbol best_memset
> /lib/modules/misc/pt_drv.o: unresolved symbol best_copy_to_user
> /lib/modules/misc/pt_drv.o: unresolved symbol best_copy_from_user
> /lib/modules/misc/pt_drv.o: insmod /lib/modules/misc/pt_drv.o failed
> /lib/modules/misc/pt_drv.o: insmod pt_drv failed
> make[1]: *** [load] Error 1
> make[1]: Leaving directory `/public/sane-1.0.1/backend/plustek_driver'
> make: *** [load] Error 2
>
> I followed the installation steps verbatim, but it doesn't seem to want
> to load the pt_drv module. But then I run the "plustek_scan" program and
> it makes the scanner light turn on and locks up when it says it is
> scanning. Here is my setup:

Are you sure that the parport and parport_pc modules are loaded
(lsmod should list them)? If not, try "modprobe parport" and
"modprobe parport_pc" and then try insmod pt_drv (modprobe pt_drv
is probably better).

	Kevin