primax: Calibration error ?

Subject: Calibration error ?
From: ####@####.####
Date: 10 Apr 2000 08:56:14 -0000

I have searched the archive and the FAQ, unfortunately without success,
so therefore I address this forum instead. My problem is that the
scanner, a regular Primax Colorado Direct, apparently tries to calibrate
something in vain. When scanning it moves the carriage to and fro in
jerky movements for some 5 inches. Then suddenly it scans the rest of
the area until it hits the far end. Simultaneously the monitor is filled
with text, the same line several times, which says "Calibration error or
wit for lamp warmup" At this time the motor is still trying to maintain
traction, but after a while the motor power is shut off (overcurrent
sense?) I can switch the lamp on and off and the scanner actually
produces a decent scan, but only of the latter half of the scan area. My
computer is an AMD K6-2 300 MHz with Red Hat 6.1. If anyone has any tips
on solving this problem I would be grateful. (I obviously have ruled out
such problems as defective LPT cable etc.)

Rolf Möller