primax: Specs for Primax scanner

Subject: Re: Specs for Primax scanner
From: Christian Ordig ####@####.####
Date: 10 May 1999 18:20:00 -0000

On 10-May-99 CP Hennessy wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> If the choices Primax are going to give us are too restrictive, then we can
> continue as Christian and Marco have been doing ( which is I understand quite
> difficult ).

Well, negitiation is in progress. And primax has told us, the source will be
freely available. We´re avaiting the NDA during the next days. Then we´ll be
able to be more specific.

> If this is too difficult/slow then there is another possibility for us to
> "catch" the protocol used between the PC and the scanner - basically trying
> to catch it after it has exited the parallel port :
>
>       by either setting up a parallel port on another PC to act as if it
>       were a peripheral - but I have been told that this is quite
>       difficult; or
Yes, it is.

>       putting another piece of hardware between the PC and the scanner
>       which captures messages. I have no experience in the electronics
>       needed to do this but I have come accross some web pages describing
>       a reasonably cheap way to do this ( about $20 ):
>               http://home.clear.net.nz/pages/kheidens/lptcap/lptcap.htm

Well, but a new Scanner would be available for about $50... (one which is
already supported by SANE ;-)

> Any other suggestions ?

s.a.