primax: Thread: Specs for Primax scanner

[<<] [<] Page 1 of 2 [>] [>>]
Subject: Specs for Primax scanner
From: Marco Foglia ####@####.####
Date: 7 May 1999 05:02:40 -0000

Hi,

we have been contacted by Primax. They are willing to cooperate.
In a first step they want to give us the specifications of one
scanner. We can choose the model. The bad thing about this is that
we would have to sign a NDA. Whether the NDA would be just
for the specs and not for the source code or for both has to be
discussed with Primax.

It is not an elegant solution but i could live with this restriction.

What do you think about this?

Marco
:
: It is not an elegant solution but i could live with this restriction.
:
: What do you think about this?

source must be free... you can give them credits, copyrights and
everything but source MUST be free...
--
	       Dug studij - garancija kvalitete, by Jakov
			  ####@####.####
> we have been contacted by Primax. They are willing to cooperate.
> In a first step they want to give us the specifications of one
> scanner. We can choose the model. The bad thing about this is that
> we would have to sign a NDA. Whether the NDA would be just
> for the specs and not for the source code or for both has to be
> discussed with Primax.
>
> It is not an elegant solution but i could live with this restriction.
>
> What do you think about this?
>
> Marco

I don't know what "NDA" means, but is (sure) better than none ...

    - José Miguel
> we would have to sign a NDA. Whether the NDA would be just
> for the specs and not for the source code or for both has to be
> discussed with Primax.
>
> It is not an elegant solution but i could live with this restriction.

I pretty much agree with your last line. Closed source binaries are better
than nothing.

-- håkan aldengran
   ####@####.####
> On Fri, May 07, 1999 at 07:00:10AM +0200, Marco Foglia wrote:
> : Hi,
> :
> : we have been contacted by Primax. They are willing to cooperate.
> : In a first step they want to give us the specifications of one
> : scanner. We can choose the model. The bad thing about this is that
> : we would have to sign a NDA. Whether the NDA would be just
> : for the specs and not for the source code or for both has to be
> : discussed with Primax.
> :
> : It is not an elegant solution but i could live with this restriction.
> :
> : What do you think about this?
>
> source must be free... you can give them credits, copyrights and
> everything but source MUST be free...

If we can show them that there are many models and many OS's being
requested, then they will realise that the code should be free.

So could you idicate which models and OS's you would prefer ?

For me it is :
	Primax Colorado Direct
	Linux

CP
> On Fri, May 07, 1999 at 07:00:10AM +0200, Marco Foglia wrote:
>: Hi,
>:
>: we have been contacted by Primax. They are willing to cooperate.
>: In a first step they want to give us the specifications of one
>: scanner. We can choose the model. The bad thing about this is that
>: we would have to sign a NDA. Whether the NDA would be just
>: for the specs and not for the source code or for both has to be
>: discussed with Primax.
>:
>: It is not an elegant solution but i could live with this restriction.
>:
>: What do you think about this?
>
> source must be free... you can give them credits, copyrights and
> everything but source MUST be free...

I also agree with that. Source must be free. If is not Debian will not ship it with
its distribution and most likely Redhat neather. I don´t know if you can find a way
to respect a Non Disclosure Agremement about the specs and still mantain the source
free (or open, however you prefer to say it).

By the way the library that I use of libtiff is libtiff-3.4-4 and this one works
right I have no way of knowing which one was the one it didn´t work.

Hector
>> On Fri, May 07, 1999 at 07:00:10AM +0200, Marco Foglia wrote:
>> : Hi,
>> :
>> : we have been contacted by Primax. They are willing to cooperate.
>> : In a first step they want to give us the specifications of one
>> : scanner. We can choose the model. The bad thing about this is that
>> : we would have to sign a NDA. Whether the NDA would be just
>> : for the specs and not for the source code or for both has to be
>> : discussed with Primax.
>> :
>> : It is not an elegant solution but i could live with this restriction.
>> :
>> : What do you think about this?
>>
>> source must be free... you can give them credits, copyrights and
>> everything but source MUST be free...
>
> If we can show them that there are many models and many OS's being
> requested, then they will realise that the code should be free.
>
> So could you idicate which models and OS's you would prefer ?
>
> For me it is :
>       Primax Colorado Direct
>       Linux
>
> CP
Yes, I think this may convince them... perhaps not now, but surely later... (We
started our Project in Novembre last year, and now they come and ask us for
signing an NDA... perhaps 6 months later they will also give the code to the
public domain... I think time works for us.

I´d also like the Primax Colorado Direct.

---
Christian Ordig             | The Primax Scanner Driver Project for Linux/UN*X |
Germany                     |   http://thor.prohosting.com/~chrordig/Primax/   |
   __   _                   |                                                  |
  / /  (_)__  __ ____  __   | Why Linux? Because it is free, stable, and       |
 / /__/ / _ \/ // /\ \/ /   | bugs can be fixed in source opposed to waiting   |
/____/_/_//_/\_,_/ /_/\_\   | for a stable WinTendo from Micro$oft.            |

[Content type application/pgp-signature not shown. Download]
From: Danilo Godec ####@####.####
Date: 8 May 1999 18:33:29 -0000

On Sat, 8 May 1999, Christian Ordig wrote:

> > Hrvoje Vulin wrote:
> >
> > For me it is :
> >       Primax Colorado Direct
> >       Linux
>
> I´d also like the Primax Colorado Direct.

Primax 4800D
Linux

   D.

From: Adriano Freitas ####@####.####
Date: 9 May 1999 17:19:53 -0000

	For me it is :
	Primax Colorado Direct 9600
	Linux

From: Alfredo Braunstein ####@####.####
Date: 9 May 1999 20:15:04 -0000

I have a Primax Colorado Direct 9600 and Linux

(By the way, it is the same as Primax Colorado D9600?)

I offer my help in testing, writing documentation (preferably spanish), and
developement (I can program in C, but I've no clue in scanner/driver
programming)

Bye!

--

       ..=KJM*&OOZ=..          .    Alfredo Braunstein

.