nanogui: X11 compatibility and pseudo-keyboards.

Subject: RE: X11 compatibility and pseudo-keyboards.
From: Greg Haerr ####@####.####
Date: 9 Dec 1999 17:29:27 -0000

: It will be a stand alone application. I'm not sure if all of it will be
: released, but I'll see what I can do to get the important parts released
;)

That would be nice, especially the graphical part.

If the keyboard is going to be a separate process, then we need
a mechanism that will allow a process to submit keystrokes to
the Nano-X server's hardware keyboard input queue.

:: Btw... Maybe we should start thinking about Unicode support right away,
before
: to much about the font and keyboard handling is added...

I think the keyboard input should be stored and handled internally
as Unicode.  Function keys can be stuck in as 16 bit values somewhere
in that space.

For graphics text output, it's a little more complicated, in that supporting
Unicode fonts for everybody will make programs and font files bigger.
Perhaps we should have both 8bit and 16bit textout routines, along
with Unicode and non-Unicode fonts?  Or perhaps a Unicode
mapping table in every font, which could default to NULL for the ascii
fonts in the 0-127 range.