nanogui: Compilinging .xbm bitmap file into Nanox pixmaps

Subject: Re: Compilinging .xbm bitmap file into Nanox pixmaps
From: "Greg Haerr" ####@####.####
Date: 26 Jan 2001 18:27:29 -0000

: Hey, I agree with you 100%.  But you better than anyone should know
: about the 10K limit on the socket.  Try browsing with ViewML and see how
: many images are skipped because we can't transfer them to the server
: correctly.

The 10k limit is so simple to change, why not just do it?  The reason
that there's any limit is that I didn't want to write and implement the
extremely complicated code that X has that is required so that the
server doesn't have to malloc() every time a large packet comes in.
Please look at it so you know what I mean.  Nano-X, OTOH, just
takes the simple case of pre-allocating a buffer on the stack for
the max packet size, so that memory allocation doesn't become an
issue for the server.  I set the value to 10k so that this didn't segfault
on systems extremely low on memory.  If you can guarantee that the
nano-X process will have an extra 200k virtual->physical memory available,
then just set the define in nxproto.h to 200k, recompile, and this
problem is history.

: Jordan
:
: .  Alex Holden wrote: