nanogui: Running Nano-X and ViewML separately

Subject: Re: Running Nano-X and ViewML separately
From: Jordan Crouse ####@####.####
Date: 12 Feb 2001 15:46:58 -0000

Supriyo Chatterjea wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I'm trying to get ViewML to run on the Assabet. I
> successfull managed to compile ViewML on my PC but the
> thing is that the final ViewML binary file is a
> whopping 6.5MB!!

> Now I've tried creating an 8MB ramdisk but somehow I
> can't seem to fit in ViewML and the rest of the basic
> Linux files required.

Thats about right.  Make sure you strip it, it should go down to just
over a meg (my last ARM copy was 1133560 bytes compiled dynamically, so
you
have to consider the libwwww libraries in there, and that will take it
up to about 1.7 megs).  Run arm-linux-strip on the ViewML file and watch
those bytes just melt off.

> I've got a couple of questions:
> 1. Am I right to say that the ViewML binary is this
> big because the nano-x server has been "built into"
> it?

Not unless you specified for that to happen (which you probably
shouldn't have... if your system can support the client system model,
then you
should use it). Anyway, the nano-X server is only about 200K, so that
wouldn't account for your huge file size.

> 2. Does creating such a binary mean that when it's
> finally loaded into the Assabet, it's not going to
> require any other files to run (e.g. libraries, etc),
> i.e. I can just copy it into any directory and just
> run the ViewML binary by typing ./viewml?

By default, ViewML is compiled dynamically, so you will need libc,
libpthread, and several libwww files.

> 3. Suppose I don't create such a binary and I simply
> compile the browser without nano-x included, then I
> load the nano-x server and ViewML to the Assabet
> separately. Would this require less space (so that I
> can fit it into the ramdisk) than the original 6.5MB
> binary?

That what you should be doing in the first place.  Linux can support
client server, and I can think of no reason why you would want to do
otherwise.

> 4. How do I go about installing nano-x on the Assabet?
> Does that mean I've to install Microwindows on the
> Assabet itself? So I just copy the Microwindows gz
> file to the Assabet and uncompress it? Or is there
> some other file I need to install specifically for
> NanoX?

The Nano-X sever runs on its own without anyone's help.  Just copy the
binary over and go with it.  The other programs depend on the Nano-X
binary, so
make sure that it is there before trying to run one of the demo programs
or ViewML.  Make sure you strip everything, otherwise you will fill up
your
ramdisk pretty quickly.  I also reccomend increasing the size of your
ramdisk to 12 MB to give yourself a little extra room.

> 5. Also, what instructions do I need to follow to
> build ViewML without Nano-X built it?

Read the config file in Microwindows, and select N for the
LINK_APP_INTO_SERVER line.  Recompile.