nanogui: Running Nano-X and ViewML separately

Subject: Re: Running Nano-X and ViewML separately
From: Supriyo ####@####.####
Date: 20 Feb 2001 16:27:11 -0000

Hi Jordan,

Stripping the viewml binary DID melt those bytes off!!
All the way from 6.5MB right down to around just
1.3MB! Simply amazing! What does strip do actually?
Get rid of stuff that's required for debugging
purposes?

I do have one problem though. I was using an 8MB
ramdisk and I had a hard time fitting in the viewml
binary together with the libwww files + libpthread.
Didn't actually manage to fit in the nano-X server!

So I thought of creating a 12MB ramdisk as you had
advised.

I recompiled the kernel after changing the following:

int rd_size =12288 in the rd.c file

But after creating and loading the 12MB ramdisk to the
Assabet, I got the following error:

VFS: Mounted root (ext2 filesystem)
Freeing init memory: 64K
attempt to access beyond end of device
01:00:rw=0, want=8205, limit=8192
EXT2-fs error (device ramdisk(1,0)): ext2_read_inode:
unable to read inode block - inode = 1598, block ....
INIT: version 2.74 booting
INIT: No inittab file found
attemp to access beyond end of device
INIT: can't open (/etc/ioctl.save, O_WRONLY):
Input/output error
Enter runlevel:

Any idea why this may be happening? Is there some
problem with the RAMdisk driver? Seems like it's still
set to 8192!

My kernel version is 2.4.0-test11-rmk1-np3.

And one more elementary question...it there a way to
find out how much space is used up by a certain
directory (including the sub-directories)? Something
equivalent to dir/s in DOS?

And I would really like to try out the POSE hack that
you posted but I can't try it without solving this
ramdisk problem. Will you be releasing the proper hack
some time this week?

Thanks,
Supriyo